Renting an Apartment in Japan or How much did you say?



2022

Apartment hunting in Japan: Or remember your wallet

 

Looking for the apartment was relatively easy in Japan. I highlight the word: looking. We made an appointment for a visit to a realtor and showed up that day. Outside there was a board listing the guests for the day, and ジョンストン、my name in katakana was there. The moment we sat down a lady was there pointing at the DRINK MENU. A reminder, we are in a realtor office not a coffee shop and I got some hot coffee and grabbed some of the candies in the jar next to me. Extra energy in the apartment hunt. After showing us on the internet about four places, we turned around and a van was waiting for us with a worker standing by the door. In we went as the employee did his obligatory 90-degree bow, which he held as we drove away.

Actually, looking at the apartments was similar to the US. Our agent highlighted the good points and agreed with everything we said. Something like this:

Scott: It is a little dark, isn’t it?

Realtor: Yes, but it is very convenient to the station.

Scott: The traffic noise gets in easily.

Realtor: Yes, but it decreases at night when you sleep.

Scott: The veranda is nice a wide. Great place to put a small chair and table.

Realtor: Yes, you can have a beer after work and relax.

 

And going to an apartment that looked like a cyclone just hit it.

Yoko: You mean people leave apartments like this? Don’t they have to clean it?

Realtor: It is a bit dirty, but it will look nice when renovated.

Scott thinking, “a bit dirty”, you have holes in the wall where the air conditioners were dragged out of the wall, you have mold on the wall, and you have piles of junk.

 

And after we decided on an apartment.

Realtor: I thought you would take that one. Was the deciding factor the park along the river?

Scott: And very close to the station. Only three minutes. The other was really big and nice but about 20 minutes’ walk.

Realtor: Yes, the park is really nice and in spring, it is beautiful when the cherry blossoms bloom.

Scott: Huh? I was talking about convenience.

I felt a gap or shall we say a wall in the flow of that conversation. Did he? Or was he just following the Guidebook of the realtor company, named something like “How to rent any apartment to anyone.”

 

So now we just pay next month’s rent and a month’s deposit and move in soon, right? Wrong. We are in Japan and in the Kansai area around Osaka. There are more shocks ahead, for me the supposedly Japanese wizened foreigner and my hopelessly lost Japanese wife from Kanto, the area around Tokyo.

 

Ok, the rent is 130,000 yen a month and kyouekihi or monthly service fee is 8000 yen, for a total monthly cost of 138,000 or $1254.  So how much is due: 805,000 or about $7318. I think I notice a substantial difference, like WHAT is this? Do they need some of my blood too?

Here is the breakdown.

Key money, security deposit, thank you money. I group together because some realtors do this, too. 552,000 yen which is four times the rent. I guess that will keep the landlord secure. My wife asks this logical question, “Since part is a security deposit we get it back, right?”

The response is, “Well the shikibiki, or non-refundable deposit is actually 138,000. The rest is, well, thank you money for the landlord.”

Scott: Well, we are renting the apartment for 130,000 a month, isn’t that thank you enough?

Realtor: Ha-ha. That is funny. You are a funny guy. You give 390,000 yen to the landlord. It is part of the process here in Japan.

Scott: That is a lot of thank you money, as I only get a teacher’s salary and no thank you money for actually teaching students. The landlord is not actually doing anything.

Relator: But they have to renovate the apartment by changing the tatami, cleaning up after the last renters, maybe changing the bathtub and sink, fixing the walls in the three bedrooms, kitchen and living room, etc., etc., etc. It is a lot.

Scott: uhm… That sounds like the deposit part of the fortune I would give you.

Scott: What about these other costs?

Realtor:

First month rent is 130000 yen

Second month rent is 130,000 yen

Fire insurance is 20,000 yen

Happy Life Support is 15,750 yen

Realtor’s fee is 130,000. This is one month’s rent

And taxes.

 

Scott: what is Happy Life Support? I could use some right now.

Realtor: Ha-ha. Very funny. It is payment for two years and if you have any troubles, you can call them 24 hours.

Scott:  For example?

Realtor: You might have a water or gas leak, broken windows, etc.. They will help take care of these things for you.

 

So that is all you need?

Realtor: Well, a few more documents, of course.

Jyuminhyo, which is from the city to prove you are a resident here.

Of course, someone has to guarantee with his signed registered hanko on the contract.

Income withholding slip for last year

Proof of identity

Picture of the family

 

Scott: Why do we need someone to guarantee?

Realtor: If you burn down the place or leave without paying, the landowner needs a way of getting his money back.

Scott: Well, what about the 390,000 I pay for the security deposit and the thank you money. Isn’t that enough of a guarantee? Plus, I see I am paying fire insurance.

Realtor: Ha-ha. You sure like jokes. It is a custom here in Japan and we can’t break customs, can we?

On an aside, I asked a Japanese friend about the guaranteer, too. He said that anyone you ask to be a guaranteer takes on a great responsibility as if you did destroy the apartment and leave, he would be responsible to pay for the damages above the insurance payment. In other words, not just anyone will guarantee you. This surprised me as this friend really viewed the guaranteer as a position taking on a great responsibility.

Lucky I am not Japanese. If I were, I would probably feel a great debt to this person. Being American this is one aspect of Japanese culture I have not or cannot adopt: deep feelings of obligation. (Read about this in another story of mine).

 

In my case, we asked Yoko’s brother, who is a public school teacher. As it turns out, Akira had to send a certified official paper saying that his hanko is certified. And of course, he had to put his stamp on my contract. He called and said the realtor had called and asked such questions as how much do I make, how long have I worked there, and where does Akira work.

Oh, by the way, I am his guaranteer!

 

You can get around the guarantee two ways. First, often your company will serve as the guarantee. Now, there are new companies who act as guaranteers. You just pay them to guarantee you. A nice niche in the Apartment renting area.

 

This process made me think that the concept of privacy which Japan seems to promote superficially, does not exist in reality. I had to give a copy of my yearly income statement, US equivalent of W-2, photograph of my family, copy of my foreign resident card, etc. They know everything about me. Just for a rental apartment.

 

Apartment rented. Done. Not so fast.

This happened on the 29th of June and the day of getting the key is on the 10th of July

 

On the 6th of July, we returned to the realtor’s office too have a yuyojikosetsu, or Important Facts Explanation session about contract and the signing. We arrived and of course got the menu to choose or tea or coffee. Then a new face appeared and he was the person to explain the Important Facts. As it turns out, you have to have a license to explain the Important Facts, not unusual as you need a license to do practically anything in Japan but tie your shoes. Yoko looked at his card and job title which was in Japanese. His name and title covered the whole length of his meishi, name card. Yoko sked, “What does it mean in English?” She beat me to asking.

Of course, the answer was, “Haha! I don’t know?”

I asked if this license was required all over Japan, as I had never seen it while apartment hunting in Kanto. He assured me it was nation-wide.

The important explanation began. He had his copy of documents and we had ours. And it was full of complicated kanji to make sure we did not understand. Two key points stood out for me.

1.     The building we were going to stay in was bought with a bank loan. If the owner does not pay on the loan or sells the building, we have six months to get out. Also, a new owner could ask for the 390,000-yen guarantee money. When I heard this, I raised my hand to make sure my hearing was correct, and it was. I thought, “I need to buy a building and rent it out. What a deal for a landowner, although not so good for the renters.”

2.     There was a section about the yakuza. I guess if I am a yakuza, they most likely will not let me rent it. I thought, if I am a yakuza then, I will not tell them, though my tattoos may give me away. Yoko then reminded me that one of the yakuza groups had their main office in this area. Great neighbors. I hope they like Americans.

 

Then we signed the contract, probably in katakana and English. Yoko even took out the ジョンストン(Johnston) hanko and put it to work.

 

Once again as we finished this, we turned around and the van was waiting for us to take us to the apartment where we planned to measure areas for household goods we had to purchase. Of course, next to the door was our obligatory doorman pointing to the door, in case we could not see it, and he gave us a 90 degree bow as we took off.

 

Our apartment, well almost ours, as the contract begins on the 11th of July, needs lots of expensive items. We need to measure areas for such items as a TV, refrigerator, microwave, gas stove, air conditioners for three rooms, and washing machine. That is another story.

 

Summary of Costs for a 3LDK

3 LDK stands for living room, kitchen and three rooms with one bath.

While there are changes afloat about key money, trying to make it clearer and reduce it, there remains differences between Tokyo and Osaka areas.

Key money and deposit are sometimes combined. Sometimes not. Obviously, all to confuse the renter. It is a very successful strategy, as my wife and I were always confused.

 Below is what we paid for our apartment in the Kansai area.

At rental time

 

English

Japanese

Cost

Rent for 1st month

賃貸 chintai

130000

Property maintenance fee per month

共益費 kyuoehi

5000

Realtor Fee for 1 month/one time

 

不動産手数料

130000

Key money or thank you money, which equals 3 months rent

 

謝金 shakin

礼金 reikin

390000

Deposit for 1 month

頭金  atamakin

預り金  azukarikin

敷引 shikibiki  (nonrefundable)

130000

Insurance for two years

 

20,000

Total

 

805,000 at 115 yen per dollar it equals about $7000

 

Monthly

English

Japanese

Cost

Rent per month

賃貸 chintai

130000

Property maintenance fee per month

共益費 kyuoehi

8000

Total

 

138000 equals about $1200

 

A resource

https://www.gaijinapartmenthelper.com/cost-apartments-japan/

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An updated version of the Apartment Hunting in Japan

Doing Laundry Wrong in Japan: How daily activities highlight different thinking between me and my Japanese wife