It’s Easy: Making Curry

 


“It’s easy.” 

This is a phrase that puts fear in me. I see it everywhere. It’s in books, on TV, and on advertising signs. It’s everywhere like air.  It’s used to learn a language, use a smartphone, and how to cook.

Here in Japan, I see it on TV for cooking. For example, how to make  curry rice. Yes, as my wife points out all you do is open a box, stir fry, and pour this  over the rice. Sounds simple. However, sounding easy is not the same as easy.

I decided to cook curry rice along with a TV cooking program.  I watched as they began by chopping the chicken,  and I yell at the person on TV: “Slow down! How big are the pieces? Are mine too big?”

But too late, they have moved on as that was easy.

Now they dice the onions. I scream again, “Wait! What size are they? What is the difference between chop and dice?”

Too late again.

I am sweating now, and my hand is shaking as “this easy to make curry rice moves on to the carrots. The person is speed slicing and I wonder, “How do they do that without losing fingers?”, but I wasn’t paying attention, so I have no idea how to slice/dice/chop the carrots.

Now, I have to go to the bathroom just when they are putting these ingredients in the fry pan and adding the curry roux. That must have been really easy because when I come back, they are eating the “easy to make” chicken curry rice.

The size of the carrots, chicken and onions look perfect on TV. In front of me on the cutting board sit sliced, cut, chopped, and diced pieces of carrots, chicken, and onions of different sizes. If I only knew what to do with them.

You say I should just read the instructions on the curry rice box.

一口大に切る。Or cut into bite-sized pieces.

Now that is helpful….not!

Keywords that  continue to confuse me in English and Japanese.

Dice  さいの目切り

Chop みじん切り

Cut                 切り

Thin slice      薄切り

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An updated version of the Apartment Hunting in Japan

Doing Laundry Wrong in Japan: How daily activities highlight different thinking between me and my Japanese wife